Sunday, September 24, 2006

Evil squirrels

I've just been attacked by a squirrel. I was on my way back from Central Square carrying a newly acquired trash can (yeah I know, I know) along with some other random shopping when I stopped to blow my nose and suddenly I was pelted by nuts. As I dodged for cover I looked around for the pesky kids but couldn't see any. It took me a few panicky seconds to realise that the aerial assault was coming from the tree branches above me and the perpetrator was a bloody squirrel! The little buggers are about half as big again as the ones back home, and they've clearly had military training. I shouted at the thing and waved my bin at it, but it just sat there defiently with its ammunition, eyeballing me. I backed away from it and managed to get to the shelter of my flat without any more attacks, for which I was grateful. So, this is how the squirrels want it, eh. With their surprise Pearl Harbour-like attack they've declared war, and they don't know who they're messing with. This is a war that will not be over any time soon. It's going to be long and messy, and many sacrifices will have to be made. I shall fight them on the beeches. I shall fight them in the parks and in the streets. I shall never surrender.

4 Comments:

At 4:17 am, Blogger The Knit Nurse said...

Shouldn't that be "I shall fight them with the beech nuts?"

A squirrel once came into our house when were kids (pre-school) and bit my mum. She beat it out of the house with my sucky-blanket. Maybe that's what you need.

 
At 3:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A squirrel once ran up my leg in the Botanical Gardens, Sheffield. I was convinced it was magic because I seemed like I had gone invisible for the rest of the day - no kidding. I found your blog through Hannah's, I always enjoy your writing, it reminds me of the summer I spent working in New England - chuckle.

 
At 8:01 pm, Blogger The Yorkshireman in Question said...

Knit nurse: I think I'll go and buy a blanket, it sounds a useful weapon. Although I was thinking more in the lines of a super soaker...

Kay: I'm preaching to the converted then! I'm pleased you like the blog - whereabouts in New England were you and what did you do?

 
At 6:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I shall fight them on the beeches." - Classic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home